For many, the term “resistance training” seems scary, boring, or simply “just not for me”. Wonderful equipment for the cardio lovers, and of course classes for every taste are available but they should only form part of your fitness journey. Here are 5 reasons to help you understand why you should be including resistance training in your plan.
- Variety. Flexible programming means you can change the way you train regularly. A good personal trainer will keep your plan fresh. Updating regularly as you meet your goals, even at a moment’s notice. You won’t have time to be bored.
- Better overall health. Regular resistance training improves your immediate health and aids in the management of chronic disease. Science now knows some amazing effects are increased bone density, management of Type 2 diabetes, and even managing depression. It can also aid in fat loss!
- Better everyday life. Everyday activities such as: carrying groceries, getting up out of bed, walking, and playing with the kids become far more enjoyable without the aches and groans. Your posture also improves. Did you know that after age 30 there is a decline in lean muscle mass that can only be reversed by resistance training?!
- Toning. You could run, skip and jump until the cows come home but if you don’t build that booty/abs/chest/legs with resistance training you won’t have the tone (muscle definition) you desire.
- Sense of achievement! Resistance training allows you to be challenged in ways you only ever dreamt. You can head home after your session knowing that you did your absolute best.
There are many reasons why resistance training should be included in your fitness journey and it’s just as likely there are many “reasons” why you haven’t so far. So, consider taking a few minutes to talk to a personal trainer about they can help you achieve success by incorporating regular resistance training. Stay strong!